Friday, June 12, 2020

XIII remake arrives November 10th


Microids and Playmagic have announced that their remake of the cult-classic Ubisoft shooter XIII is coming to consoles and PC on November 10th. The original game was based on a very Bourne-esque graphic novel about the mysterious Agent XIII,  an assassin who wakes up on a beach with no memory of who he is...but is still lethally effective at his job. The game was notable in 2003 for mimicking its graphic novel inspiration with cel-shaded graphics and stylized comic panels for specific in-game events, like scoring a headshot. The remake has some of that same style but the flat, primary colors have been replaced with a lot more detail.

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about that. I liked XIII fine when I played it nearly 2 decades ago, but the shooting was just okay, and it was the art style that really made the game compelling. I'm interested to see if there's more subtlety on offer here, both in the visuals and gameplay. I'm also curious to see how David Duchovny and Adam West's portrayals hold up, as the developers promise they've remastered the original voice work and score. I need to talk to my brother about his feelings as well, as he was something of an evangelist for the original back in the day.

The XIII remake is coming to PC, PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch in both standard and Limited Edition versions, which comes with a metal slipcase, 3 art cards and 13 in-game weapon skins.


Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment